What is Microdermabrasion?
Introduction to Microdermabrasion – What Is It And How Does it Work?
Micro (often referred to as ‘Microderm’) is a cosmetic procedure that removes the top layer of dead skin cells with a diamond-tipped wand, which is then replaced by new cells. This treatment is often used as an alternative to chemical peels and laser resurfacing and is designed to improve the appearance of the skin by reducing wrinkles, scars, and acne marks.
The diamond tip and suction are used to deeply exfoliate your skin. The suction has the added benefit of stimulating collagen and elastin as well as increasing blood flow to the skin. This results in a revived complexion and healthy glow to your skin, whilst the collagen and elastin improve to build stronger and more youthful-looking skin.
What are the Benefits?
There are many benefits – it can help to:
- Unclog pores
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Help to treat acne and prevent future breakouts
- Reduce acne scars
- Assist with hyperpigmentation, discolouration and uneven skin tone
- Boost collagen production
- Soften skin texture
- Assist with many other skin conditions.
Overall, this treatment will leave your skin feeling refreshed and looking healthy!
How Often Should You Get This Treatment?
The frequency of treatments will depend on your skin condition. How many and how often to treat might be different from person to person depending on a number of factors but typically, you should have a treatment approx every 2 to 4 weeks. This will help you maintain your results and keep your skin glowing.
Ultimately, there is no set time frame for treatments, however, your Inya skin therapist will advise you on the best treatment plan for your skin.
Preparing for your Microdermabrasion Treatment at Home
When preparing for your microdermabrasion treatment, there are a few important things you must do/avoid prior:
- Avoid using products containing Retin-A / Retinol and exfoliating scrubs 3-5 days before your treatment
- Avoid sun tanning and tanning lotions at least 2 weeks before your treatment
- Avoid waxing the face / area to be treated 1-2 weeks prior to your microdermabrasion treatment
- Wait 2-3 weeks after having other treatments like chemical peels or cosmetic injections, before undergoing your microdermabrasion treatment
- Advise your therapist if you have recently had laser surgery or used Accutane. (Accutane leaves the skin more thin and fragile, therefore microdermabrasion cannot be performed until 6 months after completion).
If you have any questions about how to prepare for your treatment, please ask our friendly skin therapists.
Is Microdermabrasion the Right Procedure for You? How Much Does It Cost?
We offer microdermabrasion treatments for $89. This includes a double cleanse, microdermabrasion treatment and serum to leave your skin looking and feeling smooth and fresh. For additional glow, add-on treatments are available (check for promotional “Packages”).
If you are unsure whether microdermabrasion is suitable for you, please ask our friendly skin therapists.
For bookings, please head to our website at www.inyacosmeticskinclinic.com.au, or give us a call at (02) 9056 3301. We look forward to seeing you soon!